Membership is valuable
Jaki Samuelson, IDCA Past President, 1997 – 1998
IDCA’s “most significant accomplishment has been to provide governmental entities, the public and – most importantly to lawyer audiences – a voice on behalf of those who practice in the defense bar.”
Membership in IDCA increases our exposure in the legal defense community. You can build your resume, explore leadership opportunities, and receive education specific to your areas of practice. IDCA is committed to providing you with a meaningful experience that will enhance your practice.
IDCA Member resources include:
Advocacy and Representation. IDCA advocates and lobbies on issues and legislation in the Iowa state legislature. IDCA strives to keep you apprised of new laws, regulations, standards and changes affecting the courts and civil litigants.
- IDCA Annual Meeting & Seminar. Our Annual Meeting & Seminar is held the third week of September in Des Moines. We offer an average of 13 hours of Iowa CLE, at least two hours of Ethics, and six Federal CLE hours.
- CLE Webinars. IDCA offers four one-hour webinars annually, each focused on a different substantive law area. Webinars allow you access to experts in the profession from the comfort of your own office, and normally provide one hour of Iowa and Federal CLE each.
- Publication. The Defense Update is IDCA’s quarterly member newsletter which focuses on matters of particular interest to Iowa’s defense attorneys and claims professionals. Membership allows access to back-issues of the newsletter. Additionally, the Defense Update allows you to author articles in your interest areas, elevating your professional presence among your peers.
- Jury Verdict Database. Our jury verdict database is available only to members and is searchable by caption, trial date and county.
- IDCA Listserv. Listserv access is available to members only and allows you to quickly ask for help, tips and advice from other members and to provide ongoing communication and networking opportunities.
- IDCA LinkedIn Group. IDCA’s LinkedIn group allows members another way to connect and ask questions using a professional social media source.
- Committee participation. IDCA has nine standing committees that allow members to personalize their IDCA experience and develop IDCA policy. One key benefit of committee participation is networking with other Iowa attorneys in similar areas of practice as you.
- Amicus Briefs. IDCA frequently submits amicus briefs on matters of great importance to the defense bar which provide opportunities for you to participate in the drafting of briefs on issues of interest to our members and your clients.
- Online Membership Directory. Our online directory allows you to connect directly with other members by location or practice areas.
- Free One-Year Membership to IDCA. First-time IDCA members enjoy complimentary membership for the first year. Following your first year, membership fees are based on the number of years admitted to the Iowa State Bar. Current membership rates are published on the Membership Application.